All set to Lose Your Glasses? 10 ideas for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medication. Never ever before have so numerous new methods and scientific breakthroughs emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, offers countless people the opportunity to reduce or remove their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgery as the fast and pain-free way to remedy vision, however stories are also appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Before you choose to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to help make sure that you will be pleased with your outcomes?
The crucial to safe surgery in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a national survey by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a physician by getting recommendations from other doctors or from patients who have actually had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be tricked by expensive advertisements about a specific laser center. Choose the physician, not the laser. Learn who will really do More Bonuses your treatment, then ask about that physician's credentials (e.g., board accreditation, special training).
3. Select a medical professional who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a physician does not know can hurt you.
4. Ask for information on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery complication rates. Find another one if your doctor won't tell you. For leading cosmetic surgeons, the figure is under 3 in 1,000.
5. Ask what steps are taken to avoid infection. Try to find a center with a sterile or dust-free operating room. Make certain that non reusable parts are not reused. Insist that your eye is thoroughly disinfected, and insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgical treatment to remove the danger of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Be careful of advertisements pressing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgical treatment is as good as a discount rate parachute. The prospective cost savings are not worth the threat of receiving less than professional care!
7. Expect to see extremely well after LASIK, but don't anticipate to see perfectly. Each client gets a slightly different outcome. The finest surgeon on the planet cannot guarantee 20/20 vision. Similar to any eye laser surgical treatment, results are as private as each client. Be careful of any physician who assures 20/20 vision.
8. You probably are if you feel like you're getting a hard sell. Go somewhere else. You're not buying a cars and truck; this is genuine LASIK eye surgical treatment.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will probably offer much better vision than LASIK. Ask your doctor about them and other recent advances.
10. While you investigate, do not forget the benefits: for the majority of people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually enhanced the eyesight of countless individuals around the world.